Saturday, February 8, 2020

Umrah Pt.1 2020

I wanted to start out 2020 with a great step forward and what better way to start the year than to take a trip for Umrah to Saudi Arabia. My older sister and brother-in-law were able to make this possible for me and I hope Allah (swt) accepts their prayers and forgives them. Ameen. I am so happy I was able to take this trip. 

I went to Umrah with Ammie (my mother), Naheed Khala (her older sister) and Farie Khala (her younger sister). All girl squad! Saudi Arabia recently opened up their tourist visa so now women can visit without a mahram, a father, brother, uncle or husband. I wore abaya's (jilbabs) and hijabs when I was over there. It really made me want to begin to wear it again in the States as well. :)

The first place we visited was Medina and we prayed every paper at Masjid-e-Nabwi. One of my favorite places on earth. It was such a peaceful way of life, I honestly didn't want anything from home. Everyone was on the same schedule. You would wake up for Fajr, walk to the masjid and pray. We sat outside for Fajr and watched the sunrise. It was nice and cool, you could hear the birds chirping and it was just so serene and calming.

After Fajr everyone would go and have breakfast. We would go back to our hotel and they had everything you could possibly desire. All healthy too! We would have fresh omelettes every morning, fresh in season squeezed juice, pastries, chai, potatoes, different breakfasts from around the world.



 After breakfast people would either start their day and head to work or since we were visitors we would go back to our hotel and take a nap until Zuhr time. The sun would come out in full force and they'd open the giant umbrellas to provide shade and block some of the heat.


The women's wudu area was so clean and perfect. The walls were tall enough so that men could not see over and each area/entrance was designated for women or men. The only time we would see a man wandering into the women's section was I think when they were looking for their wife. They could only look outside the masjid, men were strictly forbidden from entering the masjid on the women's side. 


The inside of Masjid-e-Nabwi was so intricate and beautiful. Each pillar also had a built in AC unit, with so many people and such tall ceilings it was surprisingly cool on the inside. After each prayer there were women that would vacuum the carpets and pick up any litter left behind. Ammie and I would try to help them clean as well. One thing I don't understand is how people can visit such a beautiful mosque and leave their clutter behind! 


They had zamzam water throughout the entire masjid, disposable cups and water that was cool and room temperature. They'd mop after every prayer as well so people wouldn't slip on the marble floors. After every namaz they would go through and replace the empty ones. They were so heavy and women and young girls were doing it themselves and so quickly! What a blessing to be able to clean this masjid and be able to pray namaz. 


 There were cats everywhere. One thing I will try to keep in mind for next time is to bring some cat food with me. I saw some women did have cat food and would feed the kitties, although the cleaning crew would come and toss the food right away. Feeding them away from the prayer rugs and wudu area would be best. They were so friendly and they looked fairly clean, I think they are taken care of by the locals and passerbys.

No comments:

Post a Comment